Effective from: January 1th, 2019
Heroes Nearby is a trading name of GIRITECH Ltd. and HeroHub Ltd. We know you care about your personal data and we want you to trust that Giritech Ltd. does too. We are committed to protecting your personal data. This policy explains how we do that. It sets out what we do with your personal data, how it is used, shared, and protected, and your choices regarding your privacy.
GIRITECH Ltd. collects and uses your personal data (regardless of whether you use the application as a user or user/hero) in order to provide you with our services. This data is collected when you use our mobile applications, websites, online products and services (collectively, the “Services”) and interact and communicate with us.
This policy applies to users and partners of the Heroes Nearby Project’s services anywhere in the world, including the Heroes Nearby app and website.
Heroes Nearby provides services to users throughout the world. The data controller for the information you provide, or that is collected by, the Heroes Nearby app or website is:
c/o 1 Watermill Lawn, Raheny, Dublin 5
Company Number 630982
What we collect and how
Information you provide
The personal information you provide to us when you create or modify your account, contact customer support, or otherwise communicate with us includes combinations of the following: name, email, phone number, country, city, login name and password, profile picture, payment method and other personal information you choose to provide (e.g. gender, age, medical data).
Information provided through your use of our services
When you use our Services, we collect information about you in the following categories:
- Location information: When you send an SOS call, we collect precise location data and track your movement to the end of the SOS call. If you are responding as a Hero, we collect precise location data and track your movement too. If you permit the Heroes Nearby app to access location services through the permission system on your mobile operating system (“platform”), we may also collect the precise location of your device when the app is running in the foreground or background. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Contacts information: If you permit the Heroes Nearby app to access the address book on your device through the permission system on your mobile platform, we may access and store names and contact information from your address book. This makes it easier for you to choose those contacts as recipients for SOS calls.
- Transaction information: We collect transaction details related to your subscription (membership fee) including the date and time, the amount charged and other details related to the transaction.
- Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up as a Hero. This may include a photo of your ID card or passport.
- User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact Heroes Nearby customer support, provide ratings, comments or compliments for other users or heroes inside the app or on our website (including the comments below our blog articles).
- Device information: We may collect information about your mobile device, including the hardware model, operating system, software and file names, preferred language, unique device identifier, serial number, device motion information, and mobile network information.
- Log Information: When you interact with the Services, we collect server logs, which may include information like device IP addresses, access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and the third-party site or services you were using before interacting with our Services.
Most mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) have defined types of device data that apps cannot access without your consent. These platforms have different permission systems for obtaining your consent. The iOS platform will alert you the first time the Heroes Nearby app wants permission to access certain types of data and will prompt you to consent (or not) to that request. Android devices will notify you of the permissions that the Heroes Nearby app seeks before you first use the app, and your use of the app serves as your consent.
Information collected from other sources
We may receive information from other sources and combine it with information we collect through our Services. For example: If you choose to link, create, or login to your Heroes Nearby account with a social media service (e.g., Facebook) we may receive information about you or your connections from that site or app.
How we use your information
Heroes Nearby collects and uses information:
- To improve the Heroes Nearby mobile app and website
- To enhance the safety and security of our users and heroes
- For customer support
- For anonymous research and development
- To enable communications between users and heroes
- To keep users updated about promotions or contests (only if the user has given an additional direct consent – e.g. for receiving the newsletter)
- In connection with legal proceedings
Under no circumstances does GIRITECH Ltd sell or share your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes.
We may use the information we collect about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services, including, for example, to facilitate payments, send receipts, develop new features, provide customer support to Users and Heroes, develop safety features, authenticate users, and send product updates and administrative messages;
- Perform internal operations to prevent fraud and abuse of our Services; to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems; to conduct data analysis, testing, and research; and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends;
- Send you communications (only if the user has given direct consent) we think will be of interest to you, including information about updates, products, services, promotions, news, and events connected with Heroes Nearby.
- Personalize and improve the Services, including features, content, social connections
Who we share your personal data with
We may share the information we collect about you as described in this policy as follows:
Through our services
We may share your information:
- At your request (SOS activation), with Heroes, or your friends and family members to enable them to help you. For example, we share your name, photo, personal details, location;
- With the general public if you submit content in a public forum, such as blog comments, social media posts, or other features of our Services that are viewable by the general public;
- With the Police, 112 or 911 (or similar public services) to enable them to help you.
We may share your information:
- In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process;
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User agreements, Terms of Service, or policies, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of GIRITECH Ltd. or others;
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Social sharing features
The Services may be integrated with social sharing features (for example the SOS call can be shared on Facebook, Twitter or other social networks) and with other tools which let you share actions taken on our Services with other apps, sites, or media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the social sharing service. Please refer to the privacy policies of those social sharing services for more information about how they handle the data you provide to or share through them.
Analytics services provided by others
You may change your account information at any time by logging into your online or in-app account. If you wish to cancel your account and/or delete the stored data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that in some cases we may retain certain information about you as required by law, or for legitimate business purposes to the extent permitted by law. For instance, if you have a standing credit or debt on your account, or if we believe you have committed fraud or violated our Terms, we may seek to resolve the issue before deleting your information.
GIRITECH Ltd. will comply with requests regarding access, correction, and/or deletion of the personal data it stores in accordance with the applicable law.
We request permission for our app’s collection of the precise location of your device through the permission system on your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, you can later disable it by changing the location settings on your mobile device. However, this will limit your ability to use certain important features of our Services. For example, the Heroes and other recipients of your SOS call will not be able to find you.
We may also seek permission for our app’s collection and syncing of contact information from your device through the permission system on your mobile operating system. If you initially permit the collection of this information, iOS users can later disable it by changing the contacts settings on your mobile device. The Android platform does not provide such a setting.